EBID Surface Water Delivery System
EBID Operations Department personnel are responsible for managing and delivering surface water to irrigators. They monitor and measure the amount of water delivered to the irrigators by taking multiple meter readings during the irrigations and using that information to calculate the water delivery charge.
Work is performed throughout the District from the Caballo Dam to the Texas state line along EBID irrigation canals and laterals with personnel based in three locations: the Hatch Yard (North), Las Cruces Yard (Central), and Chamberino Yard (South).
Operations performs the following functions
- Delivers water continuously, with ditch riders on duty 24/7 throughout the irrigation season.
- Receives water order tickets from the Water Orders Department and requests from farmers or irrigators for delivery of irrigation water.
- Calculates the amount of water needed to fulfill deliveries.
- Places orders for water from diversion dams.
- Manages the flow of water in canals and laterals to farm turnouts.
- Notifies irrigators of delivery times.
- Utilizes a Flow Probe Meter (or other measurement methods) to calculate flow of surface water onto irrigated lands.
- Performs calculations to determine duration of irrigation. Notifies irrigators of shutdown times. Reports irrigation time on and time off to the Water Records department.
- Coordinates groundwater flow into EBID facilities with pumpers, irrigators, and the EBID Hydrology Team.
- Reports ditch breaks and other right-of-way issues or needs.
- Answers questions and provides information regarding water balances and pending orders.
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues and conflicts regarding water deliveries, balances, and discrepancies.
How Operations Measures Water Delivered
The primary measurement tool is the FlowProbe meter that is inserted into the flow of water at the turnout. Additional measurement methods include staff gage readings (upstream and/or downstream of the turnout), in-stream metering (approximately 20 feet downstream of the turnout), and radio telemetry units (RTUs) at the turnout. By measuring the flow of water, EBID can ensure that the amount of water delivered matches the amount ordered and that the water is equitably distributed to the irrigators.
Water Order and Operations Contact Information
Water Orders are placed through the Water Records Office by calling (575) 524-8003.
To find the Operations contact number for your unit go to the Contacts page.