EBID Surface Water Delivery System
EBID Operations Department personnel are responsible for┬á managing and delivering surface water to irrigators. They monitor and measure┬á the amount of water delivered to the irrigators by taking multiple meter readings during the irrigations and using that information to calculate the water delivery charge.┬á
Work is performed throughout the District from the Caballo Dam to the Texas state line along EBID irrigation canals and laterals with personnel based in three locations: the Hatch Yard (North), Las Cruces Yard (Central), and Chamberino Yard (South).┬á
Operations performs the following functions
- Delivers water continuously, with ditch riders on duty 24/7 throughout the irrigation season.
- Receives water order tickets from the Water Orders Department and requests from farmers or irrigators for delivery of irrigation water.
- Calculates the amount of water needed to fulfill deliveries.
- Places orders for water from diversion dams.
- Manages the flow of water in canals and laterals to farm turnouts.
- Notifies irrigators of delivery times.
- Utilizes a Flow Probe Meter (or other measurement methods) to calculate flow of surface water onto irrigated lands.
- Performs calculations to determine duration of irrigation. Notifies irrigators of┬á shutdown times. Reports irrigation time on and time off to the Water Records department.
- Coordinates groundwater flow into EBID facilities with pumpers, irrigators, and the EBID┬á Hydrology Team.
- Reports ditch breaks and other right-of-way issues or needs.
- Answers questions and provides information regarding water balances and pending orders.
- Troubleshoots┬á and resolves issues and conflicts regarding water deliveries, balances, and discrepancies.
How Operations┬á Measures Water Delivered
The primary measurement tool is the FlowProbe meter that is┬á inserted into the flow of water at the turnout. Additional measurement methods┬á include staff gage readings (upstream and/or downstream of the turnout),┬á in-stream metering (approximately 20 feet downstream of the turnout), and radio┬á telemetry units (RTUs) at the turnout. By measuring the flow of water, EBID can┬á ensure that the amount of water delivered matches the amount ordered and that┬á the water is equitably distributed to the irrigators.
Water Order and┬á Operations Contact Information
Water Orders are placed through the Water Records Office by calling (575) 524-8003.
To find the Operations contact number for your unit go to the┬áContacts┬ápage.